|Muscle weighs more than fat. A fit woman could be labelled as overweight according to her BMI.|
The hidden dangers of body fat
|Fat around your waist increases your risk of heart disease.|
Fat on the inside
|Waist size can be a good predictor of body fat distribution.|
What can I do now?
- Scan it: a dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scan is mainly used for bone mass, but it can also show fat and lean tissue. It costs about £100 at selected private clinics.
- Pinch it: the skinfold measurement, based on how much fat you can grip with callipers at sites on your body. Callipers cost from £15.99.
- Zap it: bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) scales send a low electric current through your body. This encounters resistance with fluids in fat, which the BIA measures to compute body fat. Available from private clinics or buy your own monitor for about £35.
- Shop it: 1000 Healthy Weight Check machines have been set up at Boots stores in the UK. For 70p they measure your bodyfat percentage and weight.
The next big thing
- your shape
- muscle mass
- where the majority of your body fat is stored
- waist measurements.